Here are five releases to be excited for right now.
'THE ANSWER' - SAVAGES
5. 'ADORE LIFE' - SAVAGESPost-punk outfit Savages delivered in spades on their 2013 debut, impressing on record and with the subsequent world tour that hammered their taught powerful compositions into our hearts and imaginations. Two heralding releases suggest that the group has found a way to tighten the screws further, sounding faster and heavier than ever. ‘Adore Life’ is out late January and sounding damn fine already.
'THE TEACHER' - KIRIN J. CALLINAN FEAT. CONNAN MOCKASIN
4. 'TBA' - KIRIN J. CALLINANThe Toddler himself claimed to have had his sophomore album practically in the can during late 2014 but we are yet to hear it. Tracks aired at a recent stint of club shows around the country in October previewed a delicious synth pop edge behind Callinan’s signature cadence. If lead single ‘The Teacher’ is anything to go by, we can expect him to continue his push towards the weird and wonderful that places him almost entirely in a class of his own.
'SPECTRE' - RADIOHEAD
3. 'TBA' - RADIOHEADTeaser images from studio sessions and a surprise potential Bond theme continues to swell speculation as to what, when and how one of greatest groups in modern music will add to their legacy. The unceremonious appearance of 2011’s ‘The King Of Limbs’, solo work drop box experiment and controversial pay-what-you-want release of 2008’s ‘In Rainbows’ mean that it could be upon us at any time. Thom Yorke’s current fascination with elecontrica and Jonny Greenwood’s recent world music leanings may provide a hint to the album’s direction. Or maybe not. Either way we want it and need now.
'TAMAN SHUD' - THE DRONES
2. 'TBA' - THE DRONES‘Taman Shud’ was hands down one of the best tracks of 2015. Shuffling rhythms, lean guitars and a whole lot of bile from Gareth Liddiard took the hatchet to a swathe of objectionable Australian values while staying ferociously groovy all within the space of three minutes and twenty-eight seconds. No title or release date for the band’s seventh LP have surfaced yet, but it’s set to be ripsnorter.
'BLACKSTAR' - DAVID BOWIE
1. 'BLACKSTAR' - DAVID BOWIEMore than fifty years since the release of his debut, Bowie is set to release his twenty-fifth full length effort on the 8th of January, his 69th birthday. We’ve already heard half of the album’s eight tracks in various guises since his 2013 resurgence. The two most recent single releases ‘Lazarus’ and the ten-minute title track point towards strong influences from the free jazz clubs Bowie has been spotted in around New York City. Early reports tout it as a bonkers masterpiece, and we really shouldn't expect anything less from a star that has burnt this bright for so long.
There’ll be plenty more, hopefully including Kanye West’s long awaited ‘Swish’ (or whatever it will be called by the time it comes out), a third from James Blake, promises from Trent Reznor, Koi Child’s Kevin Parker-produced debut, and a gallery recorded release from PJ Harvey.
What are you most looking forward to hearing in 2016? Leave a comment and let us know!